WHAT IS HERPETOLOGY?
Herpetology (herp = reptile / amphibian, ology = study) is the scientific study of reptiles and amphibians. Herpetology is one of the youngest fields of study in regards to animals unlike Ornithology (study of birds), which has been around in its official form since about the late 1800's to early 1900's. Herpetology began as a more official field of study sometime in the mid 1900's after branching off from the generic field of study, Zoology (study of animals).
RESPONSIBLE PET OWNER CREED:
1) If you cannot afford or take care of an animal, do not get or breed the animal.
2) Never release an animal into the wild. Placing any living organism into the wild
can throw the entire ecosystem into instability, resulting in a potential ecological disaster.
3) Treat the animal as you would want to be treated if you were that animal.
4) Provide adequate space for your animal in their cage.
5) If you already have an animal and do not want it anymore, find an appropriate organization to take it to.
6) Know the laws in your area (kids - this means the "laws" of your parents' home as well) regarding
animals before proceeding to buy one or breed it.
7) If you see or know about ANY animal abuse going on, REPORT IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!
Visit the Links page for details.
8) If you have questions, simply ask an appropriate organization or do some research on the topic.
9) If you have health related questions, ASK A VETERINARIAN!
DONATIONS / VOLUNTEERING:
Donations and volunteering for animal rescue organizations are both great ways to help save the lives of animals both wild and domestic. In addition to aiding animals, donations are often tax deductible (United States). IMPORTANT - If you do donate money, ask the organization to send you a receipt for the amount donated; you will need this for the tax deduction. If you are interested in donating or volunteering, and I strongly encourage you to do so, please visit the Links page.
QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, CONCERNS, IDEAS?
Feel free to e-mail or Instant Message me
If you do e-mail me, please provide a RELEVANT subject line. Thank you.
Primary E-Mail: Wildlife06@Gmail.com
Secondary E-Mail: SchneiderSkinks@Aim.com
AIM Screen Name: SchneiderSkinks